If I shut down my facility as a result of a COVID-19 case or outbreak, what is the recommended way to clean and disinfect, and what is the appropriate timeframe to resume operations?
- Follow CDC guidance for cleaning and disinfection.
- Wait 24 hours before cleaning and disinfecting to minimize potential for exposure to respiratory droplets. If 24 hours is not feasible, wait as long as possible.
- Open outside doors and windows to increase air circulation in the area.
Cleaning staff should clean and disinfect all areas including offices, bathrooms, and common areas, focusing especially on frequently touched surfaces.
- Clean dirty surfaces with soap and water prior to disinfection.
- Next, disinfect surfaces using products that meet EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-Cov-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and that are appropriate for the surface.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for all cleaning and disinfection products for concentration, application method, contact time, and required PPE.
Operations can resume as soon as the cleaning and disinfection are completed.